Re: arch taglines for emacs

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: arch taglines for emacs
Date: 20 Aug 2003 11:54:46 +0900

>     Would anyone object to me adding an arch `taglines' to the source files
>     in emacs?
>
> It seems ok to me.

Thanks; that will make things a bit nicer for me.

>        /* arch-tag: 53bb84c6-dee0-46c6-a275-2db144993d89
>        */
>
> It looks ugly to put the */ on the next line.  Why do that--
> is arch unable to handle putting the */ at the end of the line?
> If so, Tom, could you fix that?

I agree that it's ugly; arch currently treats everything on the line
following `arch-tag:' as part of the tag-- and that includes whitespace.

So if the comment was all one line, the _actual_ tag would be:

   53bb84c6-dee0-46c6-a275-2db144993d89_*/

I think this behavior is dangerous because whitespace and comment
delimiters can get changed inadvertently, whereas users are more likely
to be careful about the actual tag string (which looks `magic').

I've posted a proposed solution to the gnu-arch-users mailing list, so
we'll see how that pans out.

-Miles
--
80% of success is just showing up.  --Woody Allen