Re: cvs-quickdir and UTF-8 encoded file names

From: Karl Eichwalder
Subject: Re: cvs-quickdir and UTF-8 encoded file names
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 06:16:19 +0200

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:

> I found an invalid UTF-8 sequence at 279th line.  It seems
> that the file name on this line is in ISO-8859-1, not UTF-8.

Thanks for tracking down my error; the file name on my disk is also
ISO-8859-1 encoded.  I might have slipped in when I have started Emacs
within an ISO-8859-1 environment by accident.

> Thus, Emacs failed to detect it as utf-8, and decoded it by
> raw-text.
>
> Perhaps the file Entries should be read by:
>
> (let ((coding-system-for-read (or default-file-name-coding-system
>                                 file-name-coding-system)))
>    ...)

If it is possible to detect some such encoding mismatch, Emacs should
raise an exception telling the user the how to solve the problem:

    Convert file name

    Use raw text

    Use UTF-8

Sorry, I cannot answer the other questions.  Thanks again for your
help.

--
http://www.gnu.franken.de/ke/                            |    _-\_<,
address@hidden (work) / address@hidden (home)               |   (*)/'(*)