RE: Add M-x occur to the menu-bar

From: Marshall, Simon
Subject: RE: Add M-x occur to the menu-bar
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 17:07:24 +0100

I must admit I don't have a strong preference; given the level of
ignorance here with many emacs users over (a) M-x grep and, in
particular, (b) M-x occur and (c) C-x ` etc., I had also thought of the
following.  Perhaps it's also worth throwing this suggestion in.

I think M-x grep and M-x occur should have as similar a UI as possible.
I've always found it baffling that if you are in a *grep* buffer you get
a Compile menu with entries like "Next Error" to go to the next match.
I've always found it annoying that C-x ` works for *grep* but not for
*Occur*.  (I guess M-x grep is closer to M-x compile for historical
implementation reasons.)

Make the existing Grep entry into a submenu of Tools, like this:

Tools
        List Matching Lines
                In Buffer                       # In Buffers... WBN one
day
                In Files...
                ---
                Goto First Match
                Goto Previous Match
                Goto Next Match
                ---
                Stop Searching

Where the Goto entries process either the current buffer (if a *grep* or
*Occur* buffer) or, otherwise, the most recently created/used *grep* or
*Occur*.  The Stop entry can be active only if a grep has been invoked.

WDYT?