Re: address@hidden: Fw: sh-script.el case indentation problem]

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Fw: sh-script.el case indentation problem]
Date: 12 Sep 2003 18:12:30 -0400

> I think the current shell-script indentation foo is due to Stefan BTW.

I'm not sure what you mean by `foo', but you're probably right.

> Maybe this sort of problem could be fixed by having shell-script-mode force
> on font-locking in its individual buffer, but disable the display effect when
> the user hasn't turned on font-lock-mode (e.g., using
> `char-property-alias-alist').  Stefan?

Yes, that's the plan, but it hasn't been realized yet.
Using `char-property-alias-alist' is something I had not considered yet.
My grand plan is to decompose the font-lock info provided by a mode
so that it can be turned on/off piecemeal.  This would provide also
a replacement for font-lock-maximum-decoration (which seems not
to be used by anyone except for those who don't know that setting
it to t is unnecessary).
If anybody wants to do it before I get to it, that would be wonderful.

One of the underlying questions is: why do people not turn on font-lock ?
Is it only because they don't like the colors (I have customized my faces to
be a lot more subdued, with most of them reduced to being identical to
`default')? is it because of slowdown? something else?

        Stefan