Re: Info mutilates user overlays.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Info mutilates user overlays.
Date: 01 Oct 2003 15:54:34 -0400

> In the very concrete case at hand, I was highlighting regions with
> non-nil `help-echo' property, using overlays with background color.
> The code works for properties other than help-echo too.  Again, in the
> concrete case at hand, I was doing it explicitly to check whether my
> code would work in *info* buffers.  But I have used overlays
> personally for a variety of reasons, for instance, to highlight for

Please: *how* do you highlight ?
Did you create some commands similar to what is available under M-g
but using overlays, or do you add the overlay from a hook, or ...

I mean, your example using M-: (make-overlay foo bar) RET and stuff
like that, I don't really care about the interaction with info.

overlays and text-properties should basically never be added without keeping
track of them and deleting or using them later on.  Kind of like drawing
in GUIs: you have to keep track of what you've drawn to potentially update
it if the window is resized, hidden, deiconified, ...

        Stefan