customizing a variable named in Info

From: Peter S Galbraith
Subject: customizing a variable named in Info
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 21:34:28 -0400

Forgive the intrusion, this is perhaps the wrong list for a feature
request.

It would be nice to have a way to identity an Emacs variable in texinfo
sources such that when Emacs Info renders the page it can make the
variable name clickable in order to customize it.  (I know texinfo is
not limited to documenting Emacs, so this would probably be a secret
handshake of some sort that Emacs could parse.)

I find myself writing docs that often say things like "if you wish to
enable this feature, customize the variable `foobar'.

I know I can put point on the string, do `C-h v' and then click on
customize, but such a feature would make customizable variables stand
out and the documentation would therefore render the information in a
more efficient way (specially for new users).

Thanks,
--
Peter S. Galbraith <address@hidden>
GPG key 1024/D2A913A1 - 97CE 866F F579 96EE  6E68 8170 35FF 799E