Re: eval-when-compile & cl

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: eval-when-compile & cl
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:40:11 -0500

    This is a vestige from long ago, and I admit I'm not sure of the
    intended function of eval-when-compile.  All versions of GNU Emacs I've
    found seem to load cl implicitly, making it a moot point.

If they do so, it is a bug.  CL should not be loaded by running any of
the packages installed in emacs.  If you can tell me a precise test
case for such a problem, I will fix it.

The purpose of eval-when-compile is to make sure the file will not
load CL at runtime.  So please don't remove that.  Removing it would
introduce a bug of the above sort.