Re: doc elisp intro cross reference fixes

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: doc elisp intro cross reference fixes
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 13:18:12 -0700

Miles Bader wrote:

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 05:48:00PM -0600, Luc Teirlinck wrote:

But there is an "inconsistency" regardless of the `*' or no `*' stuff.
There are plenty of variables with :set functions for which M-x
customize-variable is going to have an effect and M-x set-variable is
not.  Having the desired effect or not having any effect whatsoever
can hardly be described as a "very faint distinction".

This seems more like an argument for changing the way `set-variable' works
(to essentially use customize's method of setting).

I'm disappointed that's the way things appear to be headed.

I think having two sorts of `user variables' (`*' variables and `customize'
variables) is confusing and unnecessary.

I find more users who are confused that they can setq some variables in
their emacs (and get the desired effects), but can't M-x set-variable them.
But no one has argued that we should get rid of the special meaning of *
in defvar doc strings.

--
Kevin Rodgers