Re: tags in the 3 lowest bits

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: tags in the 3 lowest bits
Date: 22 Nov 2003 01:31:13 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> > OTOH, small arrays are already inefficient (because each array, no matter
> > how small, is added to the memory-map (a binary tree) used for conservative
> > stack marking).  So maybe we should begin by changing the handling of small
> > arrays (similar to what is done for strings, although I'm not quite sure
> > what it would look like).
>
> Of course, an alternative would be to switch to BoehmGC.

Sure, but is it a better alternative?  And why?

How does that remove the dependency on (non-aligned) mallocs?

I can understand your changes in the scope of the current GC scheme(s).
Adding another one together with your changes doesn't seem necessary to me.

> Dave Love has started work on this and it would be interesting to see
> how it works out in practice (what kind of impact it has on memory
> footprint and CPU usage).

What is the status of that effort?  Dave?

IMHO, this is not a user-visible change, so I think we have more
important things to work on.