Re: The display margin

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: The display margin
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 22:53:17 +0000

 > I have just checked in fixes to improve event handling for mouse
 > clicks in the marginal areas and on the fringes.  Events now have
 > additional information:
 >
 >    (WINDOW AREA-OR-POS (X . Y) TIMESTAMP OBJECT POS (COL . ROW))
 >
 > AREA-OR-POS is not changed as such -- but it may now contain
 > left-fringe and right-fringe.
 >
 > For clicks in the text area, POS is the same as AREA-OR-POS (the
 > buffer position clicked on).  For clicks in other areas, POS is the
 > buffer position of the first visible glyph on the corresponding row.
 >
 > As an example, try M-x gdba and click mouse-1 on the left margin or
 > fringe of a source window [it should toggle breakpoint on that line].

Kim,

I like this very much. This means that at some stage the unintuitive tool bar
buttons for gud-break and gud-remove could go. Well for M-x gdba, at least.
Other debuggers in GUD would still need them. I will try to arrange for the
source buffer to always display the margin so that this feature can be used
when there are no prior breakpoints. Also the GDB command 'info line' says
which lines contain code. When I have time, I will try to work this in so
that breakpoints can only be set on those lines.

Thanks,

Nick