A question about GTK file selection dialog and `use-dialog-box'

From: Peter S Galbraith
Subject: A question about GTK file selection dialog and `use-dialog-box'
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 22:49:04 -0500

Hi all,

Using a GTK build of CVS Emacs, I see that `read-file-name' uses a GTK
file selector instead of the minbuffer.  I had to disable it because
it's very awkward to use compared to the minibuffer (no history or
completion).  The only advertised way to disable it is to unset
`use-dialog-box', which also disables the nice `y-or-n-p' and
`yes-or-no-p' pop-ups (I like thoese!).

It would be great if the GTK file selector's minibuffer area acted like
the minibuffer (history and completion).  If not, then consider
providing a way to disable the file selector without disabling
`y-or-n-p' and `yes-or-no-p' pop-ups.

Thanks,
Peter