Re: The display margin

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: The display margin
Date: 28 Nov 2003 12:09:46 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> > In addition, the mouse cursor now changes to an arrow (rather than the
> > text mouse cursor) when it hoovers above an image.
>
> Rationale for that?  Just interested.  Maybe this should rather depend
> on an appropriate image property?

That would be an improvement, yes.  Will see what I can do.

The rationale is that the "active point" of text cursor (the vertical
bar) is somewhere in the middle of the vertical line, i.e. it's no
good as a pointer if you want to have precise clicks on an image.

But of course, if that image is showing text, a text cursor may
still make sense...

> > Finally, when you use a block cursor, images are no longer shown in
> > "negative" when your window cursor is a filled block cursor (only
> > the border of the image is highlighted now).  So clicking on an
> > image no longer makes it "unreadable"...
>
> Oh great.  That means that all the complicated image border creation
> stuff within preview-latex becomes unnecessary, and we'll have to
> check for this functionality conditionally.

Is this good or bad?

>                                              Any good idea for a test
> for whether the previous terror blinking or the new border blinking is
> used on images?

Well, in principle, any test that identifies this as GNU Emacs 21.4 or
newer would do...  But if you want something which really narrows
down when this was introduced, (fboundp 'posn-object-x-y) will do.

I suppose you already have checks for different versions in preview-latex?

> > > I digress.  Anyway, I want more information from clicks.  At the
> > > very least, the object they appeared on.
> >
> > What more do you want ?

I was just asking in the context of "required information in mouse
click events".  Your answer seems to be "nothing further".

> Well, further preview-latex usability problems are that Emacs often
> goes ballistic when large height images are concerned, particularly
> larger than window size images.  Scrolling those to a particular
> viewing position is pretty much impossible, scrollbar interaction is
> nonworkable, and scroll-wheel stuff is pretty much unpredictable as
> well (there have been Emacs versions where wheel-use could lead to
> lockup with large images, I am not sure whether this is currently the
> case).

I know it's an issue, and I will look into it.