Re: Creating recursive customization types / widgets

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Creating recursive customization types / widgets
Date: 02 Dec 2003 13:46:01 +0100

Per Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:

> Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > So depending on whether you perceive a new widget as a whole structure
> > (such as e.g. displayed by the `widget-browse-mode' in a widget
> > buffer) or only as one element of such structure, I suggest you
> > to name it either "tree" or "node".
>
> It is both.
>
> I'd like to reserve `tree' for a customize-browse ui widget, and node
> is rather non-descriptive.  Non-recursive datastructures can have
> nodes as well.

There is nothing in the widget as far as I can see that requires it to
be used only for recursive data structures, even though that is its
primary purpose.  Its principal feature is that the type information
is evaluated delayed or dynamically.  It is conceivable, for example,
that the exact type depends on the value of a different variable, or
the availability of some feature at run-time.  One could use that
widget even in that case, and it would have nothing to do with
recursion.

So I think something like "lazy" or "dynamic" or "late" will be a
better name than "recursive".

Unless I am misunderstanding something here.