Re: Info enhancements

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: Info enhancements
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 08:27:13 -0500

    For example, currently the Glossary node of the
    Emacs Manual has non-functional references that merely has a form of a
    simple text "(q.v.)" or "See `default.'".

I see.  Yes, this is more or less what anchors were invented for.  As
far as glossary entries go, I think that would work ok.

The reference name solution seems too heuristic.

However, I certainly agree with the comment that if we make an anchor
for every index entry, that's too many anchors (it would make the i cmd
a subset of g :).  Instead, I think indexes are important enough that
they deserve special treatment.

In fact, we've had this discussion before, in the context of allowing
arbitrary index names (specifically, ones with a :).  One message from
that thread is from rms, on 26 Jun 2003 01:30:50 -0400, Message-Id:
<address@hidden>.

If we mark index menus with a special tag, then we can also easily the
exact character or line position within the node for the index entry.  I
believe Dave Gillespie (that's my memory, might have been someone else)
implemented a hack for this at one point, but it never made it back
into info.el.