Re: `s' (regex) search [was Re: Info enhancements]

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: `s' (regex) search [was Re: Info enhancements]
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 13:13:06 -0600

>> From: Harry Putnam <address@hidden>
>> Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 05:56:41 -0600
>>
>> so my question still stands: Is it difficult to add to standalone
>> reader.
>
> You should suggest that to the appropriate Texinfo forum, I think.

Well I appreciate the comment and will do so, but it doesn't seem
inappropriate here either.  There has been a major discussion here
that overlaps texi lists but no one has suggested to remove it to
texi lists.  This serveral thread discussion about reworking info and
texi output for online reading etc.

>> And could it be also included in the new formats under discussion?
>
> Sorry, I don't understand the question: what does search have to do
> with a change in format?

There has been a fair bit of discussion here about redoing info and
texi to generate a new format for online reading of info in html+
javascritp/xtml etc.  One point in that discussion has been where the
searching would take place, on server or client.

See MID Message-ID: <address@hidden>
for a small example.

A regex search could be pretty intensive over a remote connection I
guess so I'm asking if a regex search is feasable to be built into the
new formats under discussion.  As I understand it, a regex search
engine under javascript or whatever would work differently than the
current one inside emacs (`s' search)