Disabling VC: Documentation seems inadequate.

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Disabling VC: Documentation seems inadequate.
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 20:45:44 +0000 (GMT)

The VC (version control) bit of Emacs manual (in files.texi) doesn't
appear to say how to disable VC.  Although it can be figured out, it
takes a lot more effort than I think it should.  Many thanks to Glenn
Morris who helped me figure it out on gnu.emacs.help.

I think files.texi should be amended so that it explicitly states how to
disable VC.  The attached patch does just this.

As a matter of interest, is there any good reason why VC isn't explicitly
coded as a minor mode (with something like `global-vc-mode' analogous to
`global-font-lock-mode'), or is it just the way things are?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
address@hidden

2003-12-03  Alan Mackenzie  <address@hidden>

        * files.texi: State explicitly how to disable VC.

*** files.1.85.texi     Wed Dec  3 17:06:03 2003
--- files.1.85.acm.texi Wed Dec  3 20:09:58 2003
***************
*** 1124,1129 ****
--- 1125,1134 ----
  replace SCCS, known as CSSC; if you are using SCCS and don't want to
  make the incompatible change to RCS or CVS, you can switch to CSSC.

+   VC is enabled by default in Emacs.  To disable it, set the
+ customizable variable @code{vc-handled-backends} to @code{nil}
+ (@pxref{Customizing VC}).
+
  @menu
  * Introduction to VC::  How version control works in general.
  * VC Mode Line::        How the mode line shows version control status.
***************
*** 2494,2500 ****
  control systems VC should handle.  The default value is @code{(RCS CVS
  SCCS)}, so it contains all three version systems that are currently
  supported.  If you want VC to ignore one or more of these systems,
! exclude its name from the list.

  The order of systems in the list is significant: when you visit a file
  registered in more than one system (@pxref{Local Version Control}),
--- 2499,2506 ----
  control systems VC should handle.  The default value is @code{(RCS CVS
  SCCS)}, so it contains all three version systems that are currently
  supported.  If you want VC to ignore one or more of these systems,
! exclude its name from the list.  To disable VC entirely, set this
! variable to @code{nil}.