Re: Info enhancements

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Info enhancements
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 01:52:01 +0200

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:
> There seems to be a bug in the Info history buffer machinery of your
> patch.
>
> Do C-h i m elisp RET \ and press return on the `Top: (elisp)Top.'
> line.  We somehow go to `Top: (dir)Top.'.  In fact, any `Top: 'line
> seems to go to `Top: (dir)Top.'

This is due to the limitation of the function `Info-follow-reference'.
It don't follow a reference under point, but instead it searches the
first occurrence of reference name from the buffer beginning.  The
Info history buffer has many references with the name `Top', but
`Info-follow-reference' always follows only the first one.  I already
noticed the same problem in Glossary node where no term name and
node name are allowed with the same name in references.

So currently no references with the same name are allowed in the same
Info node.  I suppose the purpose of such limitation was to make
possible to select a reference from the completion list of all references
where names should be unique.  But we can remove such limitation by
adding a new argument `nodename' to the `Info-follow-reference'.  This
argument can be transfered from the `Info-try-follow-nearest-node'
to explicitly specify a reference under point.

--
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/