Re: Info enhancements

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Info enhancements
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 10:45:49 -0600 (CST)

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

   IIRC, the stand-alone Info reader was fixed to prefer the reference
   at point, if there is one, and otherwise try the reference that is
   closest to point.

In my bug report to Juri I was not talking about references (@ref and
the like), but about _menu entries_.  Juri talked about "references".
Juri, is this really what you meant?  I actually made myself a mini
.texi file to check whether there was a similar problem with
references, but everything seemed to work OK.

Menu entries with the same name would give trouble for the `m'
(Info-menu) command.  But we have no control over what winds up in the
user's (dir)Top.  It believe that it is a problem that needs to be
fixed.

   > But we can remove such limitation by
   > adding a new argument `nodename' to the `Info-follow-reference'.

   Please don't.  Let's not introduce yet another haphazard change into
   the Info format.  As the case of the stand-alone reader shows, this
   limitation can be lifted without any changes to the Info format per
   se.

Either I misunderstand you, or you misunderstood Juri or I
misunderstood Juri.  `Info-follow-reference' is a function in info.el.
It has nothing to do with the Info format or formatting, it is a
navigational function.

Sincerely,

Luc.