Re: Info enhancements

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Info enhancements
Date: 08 Dec 2003 08:45:36 +0200

> Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 12:57:46 -0600 (CST)
> From: Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden>
>
>    Doesn't the stand-alone reader handle this correctly?  (I don't
>    remember.)  If it does, we could do something similar in Emacs.
>
> The user invokes `f' and starts typing in the minibuffer.
>
> If the node is not unique because the _file_ is not unique, the
> stand-alone reader chooses a node based on the value of point in the
> *info* buffer.
>
> But the user is entering input in the minibuffer.  Hence I believe it
> would make more sense to ask for extra characters

You can still type more characters if you want, don't you?

The preference given to the reference at or closest to point does
sound like a reasonable feature, doesn't it?

If you agree to those two points, why force the user to type more when
in most cases the alternative suggested by the reader is good?

(I usually press TAB before hitting RET, just to be sure I'm going to
wind up at the right spot.  But even if I didn't, typing `l' will
bring me back to where I was, and then I can type the right node name
explicitly.)

In any case, unless you think the behavior of the stand-alone reader
is undesirable, I think we should for starters make Emacs behave
similarly.