Re: Info enhancements

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Info enhancements
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 20:56:44 -0600 (CST)

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

   > Can give some bad surprises, like typing `f' followed by a reference
   > one is seeing on the screen and the reader going to a "closer"
   > off-screen reference of the same name.

   Does this really happen in practice?  That is, can you really create a
   situation where an off-screen reference wins?

Yes.  In the `Entry' node of the following file, put point at the
start of the line containing the first of the series of a's.  Do:
M-0 C-l.

The address@hidden, , , dir}.' is now out of view. We do `f' and see:

Follow xref (Top):

If we accept the default (or type Top), we go to (dir)Top, an
off-screen reference, whereas address@hidden, Top, , elisp}.' is visible.

===File ~/experiment.texi===================================
\input texinfo    @c -*-texinfo-*-
@comment %**start of header
@setfilename experiment.info
@settitle An experiment.
@comment %**end of header

@node Top
@top Top

@menu
* name: entry.           description.
@end menu

@node entry
@chapter Entry

This node is called @samp{entry}
@xref{Top}.  @xref{Top, , , dir}.

@xref{Top, Top, , elisp}.

@bye

Resulting .info file:

===File ~/experiment.info===================================
This is experiment.info, produced by makeinfo version 4.6 from
experiment.texi.

File: experiment.info,  Node: Top,  Next: entry,  Up: (dir)

Top
***

* Menu:

* name: entry.           description.

File: experiment.info,  Node: entry,  Prev: Top,  Up: Top

Entry
*****

This node is called `entry' *Note Top::.  *Note Top: (dir)Top.

   *Note Top: (elisp)Top.

Tag Table:
Node: Top81
Node: entry201