Re: `make' written in elisp

From: Michael Schierl
Subject: Re: `make' written in elisp
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 00:14:44 +0100

Richard Stallman schrieb:

> Have you designed this so that the same packages can use both this and
> their current configure files?

Yes. There is no change needed for the packages i tested until now
(except placing an additional file called elMakefile into the install
directory). And if a package would require to change its directory
structure/whatever, that is clearly a fault of elMake then and needs to
be fixed.

This will of course mean for developers to maintain two different
install methods.

> Use of a configure file and `make
> install' is the GNU standard, and we don't want any packages that now
> support the standard to stop supporting it.

Sure. I don't want that either.

Michael