Re: Ok, I have had it. A proposal for wizards.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Ok, I have had it. A proposal for wizards.
Date: 04 Jan 2004 06:48:37 +0100

> This proposal sounds vaguely similar to C-h p.
> With C-h p you can look at a category and then browse the
> packages in it.

My proposal was to bind the hierarchy to a major mode rather than a
category.  The difference is that Emacs knows about the major mode it
is in, but not about the categories that might be related.

In consequence, Emacs can offer a specific selection of relevant
packages to configure at any point of time.

Also, the idea was not just to provide information, but also offer
the most common configuration options.

The focus of C-h p is about browsing independently of what one is
currently doing.  My idea was to have stuff that is relevant at the
moment presented and configurable.

It might be an idea also to group the offered packages according to
their category keywords, but this would not change the proposal much.