Re: `make' written in elisp

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: `make' written in elisp
Date: 04 Jan 2004 18:25:03 -0500

> For most users of Emacs who are not on *ix, it is harder to install new
> packages than for those on *ix since most (GNU) Emacs "extensions" are
> shipped with makefiles or autoconf scripts. This works flawlessly on Unix
> but not on other systems - especially because most of the simpler scripts
> make assumptions where your emacs binary or your site-lisp directory is.
> You can adjust this for every single package, but what for? most makefiles
> don't do more than runninge batch-byte-compile for the .el files, makeinfo
> for the .texi files and install-info for the resulting info files (plus
> copying the files where they belong).

For the same reason, I wrote the install.el elisp package which can take
a single .el file or a tarball of an elisp package and install it.

It is a completely different solution to your problem, but I think that
your code addresses just the issues that are left in install.el.

It's still very simple (or rather: simplistic) and needs more work, but it
might be interesting to integrate it with your code.

I have attached my latest install.el.

        Stefan