Re: CVS directories in completion-ignored-extensions

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: CVS directories in completion-ignored-extensions
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 12:00:25 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
> Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
>>  I remember one feature implemented only in the old mule.  That is
>>  `regexp-compile'.  It compiles a regular expression and returns a
>>  special object that represent the result of compilation, and the
>>  object can be given to any function that accept a regular expression.

> Does it really help?  I think the current emacs caches compiled regexps,
> which I expect should achieve a similar speedup without any interface
> change (if typical regexp usage is as I imagine it is, with a fairly
> small number of regexps accounting for most of the usage).

I agree that, for the moment, the current size of
REGEXP_CACHE_SIZE (== 20) is good enough.  But, for
instance, regular expression is heavily used for displaying
such complicated script as Indic to genarate composition.
Gnus also uses regexp frequently.  If they are mixed
(i.e. for people reading Devanagari mails in Gnus), I'm sure
the size 20 is not enough.

But, hmmm, perhaps 40 is enough.  I have to estimate it.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden