Re: Drag and drop patch for X, please review.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Drag and drop patch for X, please review.
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 15:12:01 -0500

    > If the user drops an icon representing a file into a Dired buffer,
    > I think it should rename or copy the file into that directory.
    > That is what drag-and-drop was used for originally on
    > the Mac: to move files between directories.  But I don't
    > see any code here to do rename or copy.

    If we know the target is a dired buffer, we can then accept the
    action that the source sends us (XdndActionCopy or XdndActionMove)
    instead of always using XdndActionPrivate and to the right thing
    for each action.

It should be easy to tell whether the buffer it was dropped into
is a Dired buffer.  But that is not the most elegant solution.

Is there a way that Dired mode could make a local variable binding,
or a local key binding, so as to control this?

    The types text/uri-list, text/x-moz-url, FILE_NAME and _NETSCAPE_URL all
    can have file:// URLs.  text/uri-list is the one XDND and the
    freedesktop
    organization wants everybody to use.  text/x-moz-url is used by mozilla
    and newer netscape.

In modern systems, do the directory browsers use text/uri-list?
If so, it is vital that Dired handle it right.

      If you have multiple windows in the
    >> frame, it is hard to select the one the user intended.

What is the difficulty?  Can you tell the position at which the drop
occurred?  If so, is it hard to find the window containing that position?