Re: [patch] add interactive browse of revisions from vc *Annotate* buffe

From: Benjamin Rutt
Subject: Re: [patch] add interactive browse of revisions from vc *Annotate* buffers
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:10:51 -0500

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> Another thing you might want to do is to look at the context rather
> than just buffer positions.  This works as long as the text around
> point hasn't changed much.  Or to go a step further do a diff
> between the old buffer and the new, so that if point was in a part
> of the tex that's unchanged, you can find the exact same spot and
> other wise, you can estimate where to go.  But maybe this is way
> overkill ;-) ?

Wow, I guess that would be superior, but I don't feel it's worth all
the time spent debugging it and looking at the pathological cases for
me to do it...if someone else wants to, though, please do.

> Maybe you're lucky to work on small files whose RCS archive is
> stored locally, but at least in my situation `vc-annotate' is a
> command that only use when nothing else works because it takes ages
> to show up, so I don't see the point in having short keybindings for
> revision-navigation and don't see the point either is saving you
> from hitting C-e to display the other half of the buffer.

Do you mind if I implement column preservation?  (In other words, do
you need a variable `vc-annotate-warp-preserve-column' so you can set
it to nil?)  I believe column preservation is useful, and will save me
time since I plan on using the annotate browse often.  (Most of my
files are of average size, I guess, but I often develop using CVS over
ssh where the remote host is one network hop away, so it's still quite
fast in that case).
--
Benjamin