Re: sendmail.el bug or expected behavior?

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: sendmail.el bug or expected behavior?
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 11:28:51 -0700

Richard Stallman wrote:

When mail-interactive is nil, Emacs should not wait.

I think the variable name is confusing.  From the user's perspective,
sending mail interactively should not force him/her to wait.  So when
mail-interactive is is non-nil, Emacs should not wait; but when it is
nil, it should wait.  I.e. reverse the semantics of mail-interactive,
or change the name to something like sendmail-send-it-synchronously
(since it only applies to sendmail-send-it, not smtpmail-send-it or
anything else that might be used for send-mail-function).

Many years ago I found that waiting for sendmail to finish took so
long it was intolerable.  Maybe that has changed; if so, we could
change the default value of mail-interactive to make Emacs wait
by default.

What experiences do people have?

It's a lot easier to configure smtpmail.el (in site-start.el) than sendmail
itself (in sendmail.cf), and smtpmail-send-it seems fast to me.

--
Kevin Rodgers