Three-button mouse emulation on OSX (was Re: Enhancement for Emacs on Ma

From: Steven Tamm
Subject: Three-button mouse emulation on OSX (was Re: Enhancement for Emacs on Mac OSX)
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 20:29:55 -0800

So I'm getting around to look at this and I have a couple suggestions:

- I don't like the use of positive and negative numbers to represent the variable. I'd much rather have symbols like nil, t, and "reverse" (or something like that). "t" would correspond to the Apple X11 implementation where option is the middle button and command is the right button (what was positive in your implementation). "reverse" is self-explanatory.

- What should happen if both option and command is clicked? With X11, the mouse-3 wins, that should probably be the behavior (in the patch, option wins).

- Right now the patch here would require carbon events (i.e. it wouldn't work on OS9). Is anyone out there using OS9 that would like 3-button emulation? Is anyone using emacs with OS9? The change would be fairly trivial, but I'd like some testing since I don't even have classic installed.

All opinions welcome,
-Steven