Re: More enhancements to fringe bitmaps.

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: More enhancements to fringe bitmaps.
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 19:25:44 +0000

 > >  > As a side note, I also find it hard to get used to NOT being able
 > >  > to set a break-point with the mouse in a source buffer which is
 > >  > not "side-shifted".
 > >
 > > But you can set a breakpoint, by clicking in the fringe, using the code
 > > that
 > > you wrote (the local variable gud-minor-mode needs to be non-nil, though).
 >
 > Ok, so that's the missing link... when is that variable set?

When the associated file is found through gud-find-file. This might be at
start up for the file that contains main or MAIN__ (Fortran), through
execution stopping in a file, or through setting a breakpoint.

If you visit a new file with find-file then gud-minor-mode will be nil. This
is a constant problem (or advantage, depending on how you look at it) with
Emacs as it tries to be more than one thing at the same time. I could change
the behaviour of find-file so that it assigns gud-minor-mode a value if
(buffer-name gud-comint-buffer) is non-nil but that might be too intrusive.
Also note that if you do visit a new file with find-file you can still set a
breakpoint with `C-x SPC' (which also sets gud-minor-mode) since this is a
global binding .

Nick