Re: multiple POP support for RMAIL

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: multiple POP support for RMAIL
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 00:05:05 +0000 (UTC)

address@hidden did a wonderful thing, with is create
multiple POP support for RMAIL, but he also wrote

    ...there is currently no way to specify multiple passwords
    non-interactively.

Please implement this feature:  I would very much like to fetch
various email accounts using POP.  At the moment I can only fetch one.
There are 3 others I would like to fetch.  (Right now, I use lftp for
those, which I do not like at all.)

Unfortunately, I lack the time to type in the passwords interactively;
worse, I cannot remember the passwords.  I have a hard enough time
remembering a password for `ssh-agent'.  I should be able to specify
`M-x rmail' and not have to remember any passwords.

Thank you.

(Sadly, Gnus is not an option for me:  when I last spent several days
a couple of years ago trying to configure Gnus for email, I was unable
to figure out and no one was able to tell me how to configure Gnus to
highlight each of the following differently, a minimum of 4 different
highlighting looks for 7 different types of entity:

        in the *Group* buffer

            Summary buffer with unread new email in it
            Summary buffer with unread old email in it
            Summary buffer with only read email in it

        in a *Summary* buffer

            new unread email messages
            old unread email messages
            read email messages

        in any buffer

             that which is marked for deletion

(Some faces could be specified, but not those I wanted.

(Presumably, `old' is specifed in one of a choice of several ways,
such as `1 day' or `since last invocation of Gnus', or `since last 4
invocations of Gnus'.  I cannot remember what I chose.

(Also, I looked for, but could not find a definitive statement on what
to do actively to prevent automatic `expiration'.  Various people
assured me that the previous documentation I had read that old
messages would be deleted automatically was no longer true, but no one
could provide a clue to how to make sure overtly that Gnus never, ever
mistook old email messages for news messages.

(I know that many people use Gnus and find it wonderful.  My hunch is
that if I could configure it happily, I too would find it wonderful.
It is all a matter of how people do their work and how important
security is.)

    http://www.teak.cc                             address@hidden