Re: [h-e-w] Current word on binaries (EMACS_21_1_RC on cygwin)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Current word on binaries (EMACS_21_1_RC on cygwin)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 03:41:26 -0500

    I took the changes and all works fine if emacs is compiled with no
    optimizations (--no-opt). If I turn on optimizations then I get the
    following re-producable errors.

In such a case, it is necessary to track down where in Emacs the code
executes wrong, much as if you were looking for any other kind of Emacs
bug.

Once the problem is localized, you may find code that is not
well-defined C.  Or you may find a line that is miscompiled.  If it is
the latter, we would want to send a GCC bug report.

    I still have here also a MSVC
    and a two year old MINGW runtime environment with that I can do some
    debugging.

If the problem does not happen with them, then they are irrelevant to
it.  The way to find a bug is to debug the case that fails.
Investigating cases that don't fail won't tell you about the failure.