Re: autorevert.el

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: autorevert.el
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 12:29:17 +0100

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> What do people think of just completely getting rid of these dired
> "Reading directory /home/teirllm/...done" messages?

Good idea.

> How do we prevent autorevert.el from using inappropriate
> revert-buffer-function's?

I'm not sure.  Maybe the way is to make all revert-buffer-functions be
appropriate.

If I understand your message correctly, then the problem with the
buffer menu revert function is that it pops up the window even if it
wasn't visible before.  Then, for this case, one approach would be to
change the revert function to just update the contents of the buffer
menu buffer, instead of also popping up the window.

> Would anybody actually find auto-reverting the buffer-menu useful?

Oh, yes!  Quite often, I'm wondering about the strange list of
buffers, because I'm not aware that I need to revert the buffer.
(Though I use ibuffer these days.)

> It might be a good test case, but I do not know whether it really
> would be useful enough.  Or are there any other non-file, non-vc,
> non-dired buffers people would like to autorevert?

The *compilation* buffers currently have a function that reruns the
compilation, I think.  Maybe it would be good to just remove that, and
require people to use M-x recompile RET instead.  Hooking
recompilation into reverting seems wrong to me, anyhow.  But that's
just my taste.

Kai