Re: Current CVS version install breaks on Mac OSX

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Current CVS version install breaks on Mac OSX
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 19:08:30 +0200

> From: Piet van Oostrum <address@hidden>
> Date: 14 Mar 2004 16:13:17 +0100
>
> Current CVS version install breaks on Mac OSX for the Carbon version
> ( ./configure  --enable-carbon-app --without-x)
>
> This is caused by this change:
>
> 2004-03-13  Eli Zaretskii  <address@hidden>
>
>       * Makefile.in (XMENU_OBJ): Include xmenu.o if HAVE_MENUS is
>       defined.

Does it build with the same configure options if you take out my
change?

> I don't understand why that include is there because it is in the
> 'not HAVE_X_WINDOWS'  branch. In the  'HAVE_X_WINDOWS' branch it is
> already there conditionalized on 'not HAVE_CARBON'

I installed that (and a related change to emacs.c) to solve 2
problems:

  - the MS-DOS port would not build because xmenu.o was not linked
    into temacs; and

  - the Unix and GNU versions would not build when configured
    --without-x (see a bug report posted to emacs-pretest-bug a
    couple of days ago).

I don't have access to Mac OS X, so I cannot tell what change is
required.  Can you suggest a change that would only fix the Carbon
build?

> I think xmenu.o only works with HAVE_X_WINDOWS.

Not true, it is used by any system that defines HAVE_MENUS (the MS-DOS
port is one of them; I'm not sure if it is the only one, though).

> Anyway in Carbon Emacs it
> won't compile because the X11 headers are not included. Moreover it shouldn't
> be included as macmenu.o takes over the required functionality.

Will this be fixed if the XMENU_OBJ definition I added, in the non-X
branch, is conditioned with "#ifndef HAVE_CARBON"?  If so, please feel
free to commit such a change.