Re: Documentation for "Clone Buffers" (corrected version)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Documentation for "Clone Buffers" (corrected version)
Date: 15 Mar 2004 08:46:02 +0200

> Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 21:14:40 -0600 (CST)
> From: Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden,address@hidden,address@hidden

[Why was this taken off the Texinfo list?]

>     If your display supports multiple fonts, and you are using Emacs'
> ! Info mode to read Info files, the third, sixth and ninth menu item
> ! have a @samp{*} that stands out, either in color or in some other
> ! attribute, such as underline; this makes it easy to see at a glance
> ! which number to use for an item.

The beginning of this sentence should be changed to something like

   If your display supports multiple fonts, colors, or underlining, ...

>     Some terminals don't support colors or underlining.

And this sentence should also mention multiple fonts.

> + @subheading @kbd{M-n} creates a new independent Info buffer in Emacs
> +
> + @kindex M-n @r{(Info mode)}
> + @findex clone-buffer
> + @cindex creating multiple Info buffers

I suggest to drop "creating" from the last index entry.  It doesn't
add any useful information, while making the index entry longer.
Also, an index entry that starts with "multiple" stands a better
chance being useful with the `i' command, since a user who looks for
this information is more likely to type "i multiple TAB" than "i
creating TAB".  In general, starting an index entry with a word that
is too general is not a good idea, for this very reason.