Re: new compile command doesn't coalesce errors on the same line

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: new compile command doesn't coalesce errors on the same line
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 23:59:41 -0500

    > Meanwhile, to the extent I can figure it out, I think this is indeed
    > something else.  Let's just change the code so as to treat
    > contiguous errors as one.

    How contiguous do they have to be?

I'd suggest that if one error and the next error point to the same
location then they are contiguous.

    What would we gain?  Why would I want to go to the same spot again if it is
    mentioned 3 lines down, but not when it is mentioned on the next line?

The point is to do the convenient thing in a simple common case of
multiple errors from a single line.  What happens in the strange cases
is less important because they are rare.  So you may as well handle
them in whatever way seems most correct.