Re: More enhancements to fringe bitmaps.

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: More enhancements to fringe bitmaps.
Date: 22 Mar 2004 11:59:04 +0100

Marco Munari <address@hidden> writes:

> related to previous discussion with Kim and , an updated patch follows
>
> the additional news:
> fringe.c: i remove my bitmap redefinition (but i keep change
> on default ALIGN of thos bitmap), and i move my bitmaps in a
> customizable variable fringe-bitmap-group in fringe.el, which can be
>       default nil
>       tiny (0)
>       small (1)
>       medium (2)
> all bitmaps valuea are defined in a octal string,
> i was in dubt about the name of fringe-bitmap-group, is it fine or it
> is better fringe-bitmaps-group or something else?

What about a name which says that this has to do with size of
the standard bitmaps, e.g.

        fringe-standard-bitmap-size

I don't know.  You can ask address@hidden if they are on the way.

> +(defvar fringe-bitmap-group nil)
> +(setq fringe-bitmap-group nil) ;orrible, but a way to avoid undefined in
> conditions

I don't see how that is necessary.

> +     ((and (eq nil value)
> +           ;;(not (eq fringe-bitmap-group value)) ;how to compare to previous

use = or equal

> +  (setq fringe-bitmap-group value)) ;how to use symbol?

(set symbol value)  -- but don't do that ... see my comment below

> +
> +;;;###autoload
> +(defcustom fringe-bitmap-group nil
> +  "*Specify the bitmap set (related to size) of fringe bitmaps
> +nil is the default bitpapset (quit big)
> +0 (tiny) for smallest bitmap as possible"
> +  :type '(choice (const :tag "Default size" nil)
> +              (const :tag "tiny" 0)
> +              (const :tag "small" 1)
> +              (const :tag "medium" 2))
> +  :group 'frames
> +  :require 'fringe
> +  :set 'set-fringe-bitmap-group)
> +
> +;;The following part close to the end is not well done and not necessary
> +;;so commented as it can be removed

I think that set-fringe-standard-bitmap-size should be interactive.
You can then use a lambda form in the :set of the above defcustom to
call it with the required parameters, something like.

        :set (lambda (symbol value)
               (set-fringe-standard-bitmap-size value))

> +;;;;###autoload
> +;(defun set-fringe-style (&optional mode)
> +;  "...Set the default appearance of fringes on the selected frame.

Why is this function removed ?