Re: deleting rcs keywords from emacs sources

From: spiegel
Subject: Re: deleting rcs keywords from emacs sources
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 18:46:09 +0000 (GMT)

As it looks like I'm the only one who sees any benefit in version headers,
I certainly won't insist on keeping them in there.

> if they're actively tracking CVS, they can easily
> enough get the cvs revision with `cvs status').

Is that really the only answer?  To find out what version of a file you are
looking at, you need to be hooked up to the version control system?  I often
send files back and forth, and frequently I need to decide what version
I'm looking at, with the file being isolated from its version control history.

I find it completely natural, even essential that a file is stamped with the
version it contains, the stamp being a part of the actual contents of the
file.

It should be the job of the version control system to ignore this kind of
changes for operations where it clearly doesn't make sense.  CVS, as somebody
pointed out, is capable of this for the headers it produces.

I have occasionally received bug reports about old versions of vc.el which
didn't
have any headers in them.  People were astonished that the version control
part of emacs didn't contain this essential versioning information itself.