Re: dired-do-touch

From: Matthew Mundell
Subject: Re: dired-do-touch
Date: 30 Mar 2004 17:18:26 +0100

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> >> There's the set-file-modes primitive for changing modes.  Are there
> >> equivalent primitives for changing owner and group?
> >
> > I don't think so.  FWIW, I think we should add them.
>
> I completely agree that we should add primitives for changing
> owner and group and use them in dired.

With some modification the coreutils change_file_owner and
change_dir_owner functions (in src/chown-core.c) could be the core of
such a primitive.  Is this a good idea, perhaps with an interface as
below?

DEFUN ("set-file-owners", Fset_file_owners, Sset_file_owners, 2, 3, 0,
       doc: /* Set OWNER and/or or GROUP of file FILENAME.
If OWNER or GROUP is nil then skip setting that attribute.
Return t on success, else nil.  */)
  (filename, owner, group)
     Lisp_Object filename, owner, group;
{