Re: new compile command doesn't coalesce errors on the same line

From: Daniel Pfeiffer
Subject: Re: new compile command doesn't coalesce errors on the same line
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 21:59:25 +0200

Hi all,

Richard Stallman <address@hidden> skribis:

>     > What if I then type C-x `?  Will it got to the following error,
>     > or will it move down until it finds an error I have not yet visited?
>
>     That is exactly the distinction made by the compilation-skip-visited
>     option. You can have one behaviour or the other.
>
> Now I understand.  The doc string was not clear to me.
>
> I am now certain that setting compilation-skip-visited to t is NOT the
> right way to handle consecutive errors on one source line.  It has
> other effects that I would not want.
>
> So compilation-skip-visited's default should remain nil,
> but we need another feature to recognize consecutive error messages
> on a single source line and disregard all but the first of them.
>
> Would you please implement that feature?  There could be an
> option to disable it.

I just noticed it is there already.  I inherited from the old mode
compilation-skip-to-next-location which was default nil.  So I retained that
value.  The snag is that the implementation of this was redundant, so the
value didn't matter.  So if I now default it to t, we get skipping of
contiguous messages :-)

I'll check that in these days.

coralament / best Grötens / liebe Grüße / best regards / elkorajn salutojn
Daniel Pfeiffer

--
lerne / learn / apprends / läramå / ucz się    Esperanto:
                              http://lernu.net/