Re: Suggestion: Mapping of M-g should be goto-line

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Mapping of M-g should be goto-line
Date: 01 Apr 2004 19:35:54 +0200

Per Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
>
> >         C-c C-b => bold
>
> This is "run command on region" in AUC TeX.
>
> >         C-c C-d => default
>
> This is "save current document" in AUC TeX.
>
> I don't believe you should steal so many useful keybindings for
> simple font manipulation commands.

Actually is _is_ simple commands that should get the useful
keybindings.  The complex ones can be called explicitly.

But if we really want to get into mode-surpassing text processing and
markup, it is quite clear that the current keybindings leave us almost
no place to go.  That is why I suggested opening this particular can
of worms together with the "Super" key.  Placing text processing
functions on Super keys will not take away the currently alloted
keybinding space, and with an entry shortcut like M-s, one could even
manipulate stuff on pure text terminals (where the need for font
manipulation of the text may be less, but not completely absent).

Current "industry standard" keyboards have a key that is used as
Super-modifier in recent X servers.