Re: compilation-forget-errors still used by tex-mode.el

From: Daniel Pfeiffer
Subject: Re: compilation-forget-errors still used by tex-mode.el
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 18:10:02 +0200

Saluton,

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) skribis:

> Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
> > And as long as this is not available on text displays it's not so good.  I
> > was mistaken however because I'd used the 6 months old standard emacs
> > there.
>
> So does it work, or not?

Well, not by default, only if you configure a string.  Which for the normal
user would mean: no.

> > > You should definitely make a separate variable for compile, as the
> > > "standard" arrow is reserved for gdb.  I can easily envision running
> > > compile and gdb simultaneously.
> >
> > Yeah, but I thought the arrow in question was in the *compilation*
> > buffer; why would gdb want a pointer in there?!?
>
> The overlay-arrow variables are global (although some modes use them
> as buffer-local, but redisplay isn't really prepared for that).

I see no problem at first sight.  I have even mixed global and local, and they
both scroll in and out of view fine.

> So you have one variable for gdb (the default one), and define another
> for compile.

If it's gdb's personal one, the list should initially be empty.  Gdb should
add one with a name indicating ownership like gdb-overlay-arrow, when it gets
called.

Otoh compile's doc has long stated:

To run more than one compilation at once, start one and rename
the \`*compilation*' buffer to some other name with
\\[rename-buffer].

So, whichever var I use, it would have to be buffer local anyways.

coralament / best Grötens / liebe Grüße / best regards / elkorajn salutojn
Daniel Pfeiffer

--
lerne / learn / apprends / läramå / ucz się    Esperanto:
                              http://lernu.net/