Re: RCS keyword removal

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: RCS keyword removal
Date: 12 Apr 2004 18:27:42 +0900

Andre Spiegel <address@hidden> writes:
> > I'd like to do this, but have been nervous to because of my uncertainity
> > about CVS's behavior.  If people think it's safe to use `-kb' globally
> > I'll do that
>
> I'm not sure I understand the scope you are talking about.  If you mean
> to switch off keyword expansion in the Emacs CVS repository as a whole
> (so that I would be pretty much the only one who enables it locally),

No, I meant adding them to the `cvs update' command I use to update my
arch branches -- by global I was just referring to the whole emacs tree
(rather than e.g. a single file).

> It was my understanding that these changes would only apply to the
> version of Emacs that is managed in parallel using Arch.

Yes (or at least, that's all I meant).

> Based on this, I would argue that the RCS keywords ought to be enabled
> in the CVS repository (and thus be enabled in every developer's work
> area by default,

Yes, except, of course, developers who use arch instead of CVS.

> and the released versions of Emacs

That's an issue for others to decide (they are probably less useful in
a released emacs than for CVS users).

-Miles
--
Fast, small, soon; pick any 2.