Re: tree widget

From: Mario Lang
Subject: Re: tree widget
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 12:56:03 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> Masatake YAMATO <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> >     How do you think including tree-widget developed by David PONCE
>> >     in emacs official distribution?
>> >
>> > Could you explain to me what that does?
>>
>> As the name explains, the code provides widget
>> representing a tree hierarchy like:
>>
>> You can click [+] and [-] to show and hide the sub tree like
>> outline mode.
>
> Doesn't speedbar already have code to do that?  But maybe not in a
> generally useful way...?

That is the point.  Speedbar can not really be reused
outside of the speedbar itself.  tree-widget can be used
in every buffer that has received proper `widget-setup'.
Appart from that, tree-widget has a really nice dynamical children
generation feature which you can use to draw a tree
collapsed, without having all the data for the whole tree ready.
Whenever the user expands a node, the children of that node
are retrieved by calling a function.  This is very very
handy for deeply branched trees.

Apart from that, since tree-widget is completely Widget based,
you can easily create things like a node with a text entry
field, without any major hassle.  I don't think that
speedbar makes this easy in any way.

--
CYa,