[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Compilation to native

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Compilation to native
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 04:17:11 +0300
User-agent: Gnus/5.110002 (No Gnus v0.2) Emacs/21.3.50 (gnu/linux)

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
> As Emacs-unicode has to map every character in a legacy
> charset to Unicode, it's inevitable that such kind of code
> version gets slower.  For instance, on reading iso-8859-2
> file, Emacs 21 only have to add some leading byte to each
> character.  But emacs-unicode has to lookup a table to get a
> Unicode character code, and then has to get an UTF-8
> byte-sequence for that character code.

I don't know how lookups are implemented in emacs-unicode,
but generally lookups would be very fast when implemented
on arrays.  Surely, it requires memory, but for small-sized
alphabets this is acceptable.

>> Generally, the unicode branch seems stable on GNU/Linux.
>> I have noticed only a few bugs like, for example, sometimes
>> displaying a row of 
>> address@hidden@address@hidden@address@hidden@address@hidden@ characters 
>> instead
>> of file names in dired buffers, and some minor problems,
>> for example, not finding fonts that the trunk version
>> is able to find.
> Do you remember the name of fonts that emacs-unicode failed
> to find?

I'm not sure this list is the right place to report bugs on the
emacs-unicode branch, but here are the symptoms:

Calling the function

(set-frame-font "-rfx-fixed-medium-r-normal--10-*-*-*-c-60-*-*")

doesn't report an error and doesn't set the correct font either.

Calling the `set-frame-font' after creating a fontset reports an error:

(create-fontset-from-ascii-font "-rfx-fixed-medium-r-normal--10-*-*-*-c-60-*-*")

Font `-rfx-fixed-medium-r-normal--10-100-75-75-c-60-fontset-iso10646_1' is not 

Whereas in Emacs 21.3.50 `create-fontset-from-ascii-font' with the
same font name returns some other value:

(create-fontset-from-ascii-font "-rfx-fixed-medium-r-normal--10-*-*-*-c-60-*-*")

BTW, I also noticed the *Message* buffer often reports such errors:

Error during redisplay: (error Attempt to modify read-only object)

but I don't see where this error manifests itself.

Juri Linkov

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]