Re: Several suggestions for image support

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Several suggestions for image support
Date: 16 Apr 2004 12:22:13 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> PNG images support transparency.  Emacs can't make use of it.  You can
> only have Emacs declare a particular color as transparent.  This is
> dissatisfactory.  It should tell the PNG decoding routines Emacs'
> background color for the purpose of transparency.

Using `:mask heuristic' should make the image background transparent.
The tool-bar code uses this.

I suppose you know that, so what's the problem with this approach?

> I would find it important if an image specifier could restrict the
> displayed portion of an image.

This might be useful for other reasons, e.g. image panning.
Zoom (scaling) would be useful too.

> The reason is that large images always appear as a single big
> character to Emacs.  If I could split such an image into a bunch of
> smaller images, I could walk through it with the cursor.  But it
> should only be necessary to instantiate the complete image itself once
> for this purpose.  Of course, one should find a way that does not
> cause all of the subimages to be entered separately into the image
> cache.

Something like this is already on my to-do list.

However, I have other ideas to make image scrolling work, and it
is at the top of my to-do list.