Re: Several suggestions for image support

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Several suggestions for image support
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 13:29:47 +0100

David Kastrup wrote:

Hmmm.  Do you have any evidence of it working?

When I wrote the image support for Windows, I tested a wide range of PNG test images. PNG support appears to be broken in the Windows port now though, as all images with transparency or alpha channels are appearing inverted. This may be something to do with the bug that YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu just pointed out.

Anyway: if :heuristic-mask is true, but the majority of corner pixels
is transparent, it would be nice if just transparency was used as the
mask criterion.

That way I get at least a heuristic mask if the image
creating process does not support transparency, but get the
transparence if it is available in the image.  It is not always easy
to know in advance.

I see the problem. You don't want to have to know in advance whether the image has transparency or not.

What about: if the image already has a mask (due to the fact it is a transparent image), any heuristic mask property should be ignored. Would that be better than relying on corner pixels being transparent?