Re: Emacs Explorer?

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Emacs Explorer?
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 15:10:53 +0200

Considering the idea of dragging files OUT of Dired buffers,
I wonder what sort of mouse interface we could come up with that is
(1) consistent with Emacs and (2) consistent with what users
expect in drag-and-drop.

(2) implemented in other text editors works like this:
Mark some text with the mouse.  Click on the selected text and drag it.

I have a working implementation for GTK (GTK has drag support that makes
this relatively easy), but I guess we want this to work on all toolkits,
then Emacs needs to have its own implementation.
A change I had to make is that Emacs does not clear the mouse selected
region on button down, but on button up, unless there was a drag in between.
I've arbitrary defined a drag as moving the mouse 10 pixels.

Other problems are what coding to use for the text (probably UTF8_STRING),
and how to recognize that the text dragged is actually a file name from
a dired buffer.  My current implementation has no lisp interface, it is
all done at the C level.

        Jan D.