Re: Gnus 5.11 in Emacs CVS

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: Gnus 5.11 in Emacs CVS
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 14:17:42 +0200

On Tue, Apr 20 2004, Miles Bader wrote:

> [I've re-added emacs-devel to the CC: list (I hope that's OK!): [...]]

No problem.

> On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 09:30:58PM +0200, Reiner Steib wrote:
>> > but are you _sure_ the CVS checkout actually bootstraps correctly?
>> > The arch tree is pretty much the same as the CVS tree, so it's a bit
>> > mystifying that one would work and the other not.
>>
>> But it's not exactly synced (some *.el files differ slightly; nothing
>> relevant IMHO, but not only CVS keyword expansion).
>
> Well obviously they aren't guaranteed to be exactly synced at every moment of
> the day, but ignoring the time delay (the sync happens usually a few times
> per day) they should be exactly the same, with the following exceptions:
[...]
> If you're seeing differences in .el files that aren't related to RCS keyword
> expansion, then there's probably something wrong (so please send details).

I've updated both trees some minutes ago.  All differences are due to
RCS keyword expansion and some delay in the synchronization, AFAICS.
(Here are the diffs, in case you want to check:
http://theotp1.physik.uni-ulm.de/~ste/comp/emacs/misc/cvs-vs-arch.diff.gz;
I only checked for *.el, *.[ch] and ChangeLog files.)

>> >    src/bootstrap-emacs -batch -f byte-compile-file lisp/vc-arch.el
[...]
>> Didn't work for me, because my
>> --prefix=/import/xtra/emacs/Gnus_5_11_arch doesn't exist yet.
>
> Hmmm, it should work (I think) -- the emacs being run is not the installed
> emacs, but src/bootstrap-emacs, and it should be getting its lisp files from
> ../lisp.

>From a discussion in emacs-pretest-bug (approx. two weeks ago) I
recall that this is not the case:
  <URL:http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.pretest.bugs/2634>,
  Subject: Use of system lisp when running freshly built emacs "in place".

> BTW, are you building in the source tree, or using a separate build dir?

I always build in the Emacs source directory.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)