Re: Several suggestions for image support

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Several suggestions for image support
Date: 23 Apr 2004 01:53:37 +0200

>     However, I have fixed the treatment of newline characters
>     so that non-empty lines are no longer made a minimum
>     height equal to the frame default line height.
>
> That could have bad effects in many cases.

I honestly don't understand why this is a problem.

Quite contrary, I always found it very odd (i.e. buggy) that emacs
forces all lines to be at least as high as the default frame line
height.  That means that you cannot have any "fine print".

With my change, if you have just ONE character in the frame default
font in the line, it will be shown exactly as before.  Also, if the
line is empty, ie. only contains the newline, it is also shown as
before.

The only time you will see my change in effect is if you have a line
where ALL glyphs are lower than the default frame line height; in that
case, the line is only as high as the tallest character on that line.

>                                             I don't think
> it is ok, unless it is limited to special conditions.

Of course, I can change this, but my feeling is that the new
behaviour is more in line with what people would expect, so we
should provide a way to force a specific height.

If you really have an application where you want to force the old
behaviour (I doubt there are currently any such uses), there are
ways to force the line to be shown with the default line height
(e.g. use a 'display space property with a zero width and a height of
1  -- ok, that is currently not supported, but it could easily
be added).