Re: M-x compile should tell its status (a little bit better)..

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: M-x compile should tell its status (a little bit better)..
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:43:39 -0600

Stephan Stahl wrote:
> Kevin Rodgers <address@hidden> writes:
>>Richard Stallman wrote:
>>>Could you say more precisely what change you have in mind in the
>>>mode line contents?
>>>
>>I think the idea is not to change the mode line, but to change the
>>mode name so that the status is apparent from `M-x list-buffers'.  I
>>think the following provides the desired effect, but it's just for
>>illustration:
>
> Yes that was my idea. I hope my example in an earlier mail was also
> helpful to understand what i had in mind.
>
> Do you think such a change would be good? And which other modes could
> benefit from such a visual feedback? Maybe all modes that use an
> (longrunning) inferior process..

I think a better change would be to include mode-line-process in the
*Buffer List* buffer:

2004-04-27  Kevin Rodgers  <address@hidden>

        * buff-menu.el (list-buffers-noselect): Append the buffer's
          process status to its mode name.

*** emacs-21.3/lisp/buff-menu.el.orig   Wed Aug 29 08:53:31 2001
--- emacs-21.3/lisp/buff-menu.el        Tue Apr 27 10:38:25 2004
***************
*** 503,512 ****
                this-buffer-read-only
                (this-buffer-size (buffer-size buffer))
                this-buffer-mode-name
                this-buffer-directory)
            (with-current-buffer buffer
!             (setq this-buffer-read-only buffer-read-only
!                   this-buffer-mode-name mode-name)
              (unless file
                ;; No visited file.  Check local value of
                ;; list-buffers-directory.
--- 503,523 ----
                this-buffer-read-only
                (this-buffer-size (buffer-size buffer))
                this-buffer-mode-name
+               (this-buffer-process (get-buffer-process buffer))
                this-buffer-directory)
            (with-current-buffer buffer
!             (setq this-buffer-read-only buffer-read-only)
!             (setq this-buffer-mode-name
!                   (concat mode-name
!                           ;; is there a way to convert an arbitrary
!                           ;; mode-line-format element to a string?
!                           (cond ((stringp mode-line-process)
!                                  mode-line-process)
!                                 (this-buffer-process ; emulate (":%s")
!                                  (concat ":"
!                                          (symbol-name
!                                           (process-status
!                                            this-buffer-process)))))))

--
Kevin Rodgers